“An idea can become dust or magic depending upon the talent that rubs against it.” (Matsuo Bashō (松尾 芭蕉), from the forward of the book by Bob Hughes with modifications by Roger Wagner)
April 2, 2017 – Dust or Magic Masterclass at Bologna Children’s Book Fair
June 2-4, 2017 – AppCamp at Asilomar
Oct 22-24, 2017 Highlights Digital Storytellers Retreat at the Highlights Foundation
Nov 5-7, 2017 – The 17th Annual Dust or Magic Institute on the Design of Children’s Interactive Media
AppCamp at Asilomar
All Dust or Magic Events share similar objectives:
- To familiarize you with the key products of the year and to point out strengths and weaknesses.
- To contribute to your personal definition of “dust” and “magic.”
- To provide a review of the fundamental theories of child development in the context of emerging technologies such as multi-touch screens, physical computing, 3D and movement based interfaces.
- To give you access to a library of current products for a hands-on experience.
- To provide critical, honest, fair and open demonstrations of this year’s products, with room for discussion.
- To help students of interactive design earn credit.
- To provide an overview of the elements of successful design.
- To help you meet and learn from others who are passionate about exploring the potential of interactive media for children.
- To provide a comfortable, structured, relaxing experience.
Dust or Magic is produced by Children’s Technology Review. It has no affiliation with any hardware or software company; it is supported solely by registration fees. Read more about Dust or Magic’s history here.
“Child development remains constant even as the context shifts wildly.”
– David Kleeman