“An idea can become dust or magic depending upon the talent that rubs against it.” (Matsuo Bashō (松尾 芭蕉), from the forward of the book by Bob Hughes with modifications by Roger Wagner)
March 29, Dust or Magic Masterclassat the Bologna Children’s Book Fair at Registration form coming soon. This is the Sunday before the world’s largest children’s publishing event in the world.
March 30 – April 1 Dust or Magic Exhibit Space at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair
April 19 – 21 Dust or Magic Language & Literacy Retreat at the Highlights Foundation.
May 30, Saturday afternoon, from 3 – 6 PM, AppFest at the co.lab. Children welcome, in San Francisco.
May 31 – June 2nd Dust or Magic AppCamp 6, back at Asilomar in Monterey California.
November 1 – 3 The 15th Annual Dust or Magic Institute on the Design of Children’s Interactive Media.
All Dust or Magic Events share similar objectives:
- To familiarize you with the key products of the year and to point out strengths and weaknesses.
- To contribute to your personal definition of “dust” and “magic.”
- To provide a review of the fundamental theories of child development in the context of emerging technologies such as multi-touch screens, physical computing, 3D and movement based interfaces.
- To give you access to a library of current products for a hands-on experience.
- To provide critical, honest, fair and open demonstrations of this year’s products, with room for discussion.
- To help students of interactive design earn credit.
- To provide an overview of the elements of successful design.
- To help you meet and learn from others who are passionate about exploring the potential of interactive media for children.
- To provide a comfortable, structured, relaxing experience.
Dust or Magic is produced by Children’s Technology Review. It has no affiliation with any hardware or software company; it is supported solely by registration fees. Read more about Dust or Magic’s history here.
“Child development remains constant even as the context shifts wildly.”
- David Kleeman